Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Reducing Anxiety about Money


When my husband and I were first married, I worried about money all the time.  Looking back, now I think, "what did I have to worry about?!"  Yes, we had little savings, but we both worked and had no responsibilities (i.e., kids)!  It's funny how your perspective changes!

I think that I've always had some anxiety about money.  This anxiety may be why I've always been pretty frugal; it would stress me out too much to get down to my last dollar, or even close.  However, during the past year or two I have realized that as I have gotten more and more frugal I actually have worried about money less.

In a way it seems counterintuitive that a frugal lifestyle would mean less anxiety about money.  Couponers are often portrayed as worrying over saving $.50 on cereal, and budgeting is seen as a source of stress.  Isn't it true that if you track every penny you just multiply your anixety?

In my experience, the answer is no!  Over the last year and a half, as I have embraced frugality as a lifestyle and sort of hobby, I have felt more empowered and in control of our finances than ever before. 

As we have drastically reduced our grocery bill and other spending, we have been been able to save significantly more money.  Saving money has enabled us to build an emergency fund, which gives huge peace of mind.  Although a job loss or a huge car repair would never be easy, having some savings gives automatic hope.

Giving increased attention to spending also required me to monitor our budget more and more precisely.  Especially for the last few months, since I started using Pear Budget, I have felt that every common expense in our lives is accounted for.  I don't have to worry when  a bill arrives, since I know the money is set aside in our budget.

Even though our budget has always been tight and will probably remain so, I feel that we are in control.  I know that every choice we make about money is done intentionally, and not carelessly.  I also know that if necessary we could spend even less than we do now.  We may have to get there slowly, but we are moving toward our goals.   That is an empowering thought!

Photo by rigor789.

3 comments:

  1. How does "Pear Budget" compare to mint.com?

    I hadn't heard of "Pear Budget" before and was wondering what frugal-friendly features it offers for the extra $3 a month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post - I too am young, married, and worry a lot about money, but like you, have found that I am less anxious by saving more through coupons and such. We're not as good as you with accounting for every penny but we're getting there! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, the reason we chose Pear Budget is that my husband prefers not to link up our bank accounts. Pear Budget is simply a budgeting program; you enter your spending manually.

    It did go against the grain to spend $3 a month on it, but for us it was worth it. I've found it very simple to keep up with our spending using it, and that saves us lots of money in the long run.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to hear your feedback!